Dandelion in Morning Dew

Taken early morning with the sun lighting the subject from behind. I initially went out to capture a different backlit subject, but found this dandelion more interesting.

This is a re-post of sorts. My previous post was in color and not cropped. I find the black and white version more appealing.

Specific Feedback Requested

I would like your thought on composition and background. All CC is welcomed

This is a single exposure and the right side is out of focus. I decided to crop that part of the subject out and place the seed head in the BRC.

I feel like I still have work to due. I’m thinking that the photo will have more impact if the BG was all black. What are your thoughts?

Technical Details

Canon 5D IV | EF 100 Macro | f11 | 1/100s | ISO 100
Processed using ACR and Photoshop

Hi David thanks for posting. These sorts of images can be very much hit-and-miss. A lot depends on the position of the subjects. I think in this case I would have removed the back two seed heads which would have allowed a clear uninterrupted view of the other three. I would have also taken out the trailing stalk on the far right just to keep the view clear the whole way through. I think that would have helped the composition a lot. Also the first is not in sharp focus.

A difficult subject! You couldn’t have removed any of the BG seeds without disturbing the droplets, but they do get in the way of the front ones. Maybe a slightly different perspective could have given some separation for the back ones. A focus stack would have been good for the closer ones, but might have been too much detail if it also included the back ones. I think darkening the BG more would look artificial.