Dandelion

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taking a simple subject and changing it to something different. I saw the end results photographing this plant…

Specific Feedback

Does the gray vignette work with this photo idea ??? I tried to use the zones of black and white photography on this one. White, grays and black… and info or opinions on zone photography would be great. Always learning…

Technical Details

Low ISO and fstop was set to keep the plant sharp as possible and background soft.

1 Like

Very interesting! Inverting gave a surprising look that helps keep attention. The dewdrops are a very nice touch and the DOF looks like it was good, but a lot of detail is obscured by the posterization. Was it intentional?

Yes. All the above. I tried to bring questions in the photo. Kinda abstract and not just a dandelion.

I wanted the white to really pop out. And the grays to filter out gradually from center.
I didn’t want just another pretty flower.

Thanks for showing interest.
:earth_americas::pray::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::earth_americas:

Gill, I have never done much with a dandelion seed head, but have seen others and thought I would try it, but still haven’t, even though it is very plentiful. I may have to give it a whirl. Interesting post processing. For me I find the center the most interesting of all, with the white background and the water drops. I think that the gray vignette, by it not being completely around the seed head, as well as the posterizing effect seems to distract from the subject, for me. I only say that because you asked about the gray vignette. It certainly is a different view of a dandelion seed head, abstract in a way, yet recognizable. Very creative.

Thanks. The gray vignette was just something that I tried to create to give a softness on the borders and edge of the photo. Kinda like fog.

Thanks for showing interest.

1 Like

Interesting on the borders, although not exactly evocative of fog. But how do you feel about the strongly posterized pieces that obscure parts of the seedhead – like gray cutouts that have been added on top of areas that would have detail?

Not really sure. It just gave it another vibe. Probably over edited in someways. I just tried to take it outside the box photography. Technically it could be better but it was the out of the box norm that I was shooting for.

Photoshop playtime.

Thanks for showing interest and suggestions.

:camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::pray::earth_americas::pray: