Dappled light on the rocks

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is from a recent trip to Joshua Tree National Park. It was my first time, so it I spent much of the time getting to know the various parts of the park. During one afternoon I was drawn to some dappled light on some rock formations and the surrounding desert floor.

Specific Feedback

I wanted to preserve the subtlety of the light, so my editing choices were to not push the contrast and saturation to much. Does this image have enough interest?

Technical Details

60 mm single image.

I like the light on the rocks! But the image is maybe a bit too understated. Since you want to keep the subtlety, maybe a crop to emphasize the rocks as the subject would work as an alternative to adding much more contast and saturation? (I’d probably bump those up a smidge too though.)

Dean,

A very lovely and inviting desert scene from JT.

I agree with Cathy’s reference of “understated.” I know you mention you wanted to preserve the “subtlety of light”, but I think perhaps at the expense of exploiting the beautiful light on the rock? At least for me, I think that light on the rocks IS the star of the show and this could be brought out quite a bit more.

I think the desert landscape is showcased quite nicely, although I think much of the detail and beauty is lost in the wider view. Tough call as I like the smaller rock formation in the foreground, but I think I would consider cropping from the bottom to bring the emphasis to the main rock formation and the lovely light striking them.

Lon

Thank you, @Cathy_Proenza and @Lon_Overacker. I’ll revisit and perhaps do some dodging or other contrast work.

1 Like

It’s a lovely scene. I think you can push the light a bit, but not at the expense of contrast. Dodging the lights with a warm color would perk up the dappled light look that you want to convey. Maybe even warming up the whole image a tad. I gave that a whirl - see what you think. Also, I think I agree about the crop - maybe a 5x7 taking off some of the sky?

Thank you, @Bonnie_Lampley. Some more food for thought!

1 Like