Dark-eyed Junco Landing

Discovered how this bird often flew in and did a “stand-off flight” to survey the landing site.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Used a Canon 5ds-r with 100x400x1.4 Ext. Lens at f-8, 1/3200 sec. and iso 6400. I realize the high shutter speed and very high ISO left me with a soft image in the end. Was looking for sharp wing spread but will back off on these settings next time.

John - really great capture of a Junco in flight- if the softness was not there it would be an outstanding shot. I love these little birds, especially in the snow. We have dozens of them around our feeders. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne, nice pose you captured. I like the wing position and spread tail. Very difficult to make a sharp capture of a songbird in flight. About the only time I have been able to do it consistently are bluebirds flying to a nest box.

Thanks Terrance and Allen. These birds are plentiful here and not easy to get tack sharp because of their gray/black color to background.

Very nice pose and I like the setting and how the junco is framed by the berries.

You caught a great moment and focus looks good! I think some of the softness came from the NR and I think it could be improved. I would expect much better from Topaz Denoise AI.

There is also unusual color posterization in the BG. There is likely more tonal detail in the head, too, but it should be brought out in raw, before any denoise operation.

Great catch, Wayne. I love the pose and the exposure looks good. I’m not sure what the softness issue is with those settings. How big a crop was this?

Well done on a tricky shot Wayne. And good for you to attempt it. You got a really nice action pose. Some good comments about processing already made and I was also wondering about the size of the crop. Looking forward to seeing the next one.

Thanks to all, most of my decent shots made for several days were made with the same settings, very high shutter and iso . A very good shoot of a beautiful Hawk. A shame, but there is always another day. The Hawk is still there.