Dark-eyed Junco

This is one of those shots you think might turn out okay from the get-go as I could see the background would be nice and I was fairly close to the junco that I figured there would be some good detail.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Maybe I should have cropped a bit differently so the blackberry vine isn’t coming out of the corner.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/500 at f7.1, +2/3 EV; ISO 400

2 Likes

All the techs are there, as you noted, Allen. I don’t know…I kinda like the vine coming out of the corner. In any case, it’s a fine perch. Well done.

1 Like

Aesthetic: Very pleasing color palette and composition. I like it as presented.

Technical: Bird is dead sharp and great exposure. The only thing I think could have improved the images was a bit more DOF for the vine. Not a deal breaker by any means.

1 Like

Hello Allen…how great when you know you have nailed a shot! I really like the composition with the vines coming from the corners. The colours are lovely and the thorns help to tell how tiny these birds are.

1 Like

Allen, I’ve come to know these little ones from several years of nesting in my backyard. Really like them. I think you have a wonderful image here. The pose is perfect. That background couldn’t be better. And I like the vine coming out of the right corner. It works for me. Awesome image.

1 Like

Another vote for vine and leaf in the corners - and all the rest make for a wall-hanger, especially with the matching frame. Lovely!

1 Like

I share the opinion of most members, that this is a wonderful image and that the vine coming out of the corner is no problem at all. Great shot, great BG.
As @Keith_Bauer commented, a bit more DOF for the vine would have been nice. But that could also affect your BG, so let’s keep it as presented.

1 Like

Perfect and gorgeous! I like the presentation too, with the stroke/border

1 Like

The double curve (leaves, thorny vine) is great. Actually it’s basically a triple curve with the shape of the junco. They all compliment each other quite well.

For me there’s a tick too much empty space above, but overall is a lovely scene. As an alternative, if one felt the green leaves didn’t work with the surrounding warmer tones, it looks like you have space to crop from the bottom and simply isolate the bird on its perch in a lower right composition. It’s great to capture a scene that offers so many options!

1 Like