Darlingtonia Californica w/ Repost

Revised Image:

Original:

This is another image from day 3 of the Oregon Coast trip with @John_Williams. This one was taken at the Darlingtonia State Natural Site just north of Florence. Darlingtonia is a carnivorous plant, also known as Pitcher Plant, Cobra Lilly and Cobra Orchid.

We arrived near the end of the day which allowed me to get a bit of back lighting on one of the plants.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are welcome

Technical Details

D850, 70-200 at 85mm, f8, 1/200 sec, ISO 800 handheld

Oh how cool Steve. The pitcher plants I’ve seen look different than these. I like the backlighting, but wonder if you could have framed them closer to eliminate the green leaves coming in on the left. Sometimes in boggy situations its hard so maybe not.

This came out just lovely Steve. They look a bit like lanterns with this glow. I can see @_Kris’s point, and I think this looks just as good with a tighter crop that goes just to the edge of the OOF plants on the left and bottom.

Thanks for the comments @_Kris and @John_Williams! Kris thanks for the suggestion. I added a cropped version at the top. I wish I could have gotten a bit better point of view in the field but we were on a fenced boardwalk and had very limited options.

1 Like

I like the cropped version - much stronger. Totally understand that you were working with a barrier - and I’m glad you didn’t overstep. I did accidentally once in a garden and was nicely told to move my tripod leg. I felt so bad that I didn’t notice. No harm done, but I am usually more careful about stuff like that. Just got carried away.

1 Like

Amazing details and color Steve. The lighting really worked out well for you. The crop version looks better