De Kelders gully long exposure

One of many shots of the waves crushing into a quite photogenic gully at de Kelders, close to Cape Town, South Africa

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any thoughts on colour? Is it too cold?

Does the exposure time work for you? I had some at 1.0s and the water didnt seem as dramatic as her

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Long Exopsure @ 0.8s f/11, ISO 100 Nikon D4s with AF-S 14-24mm @14mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@denisroschlau

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

To me, color looks good. No, I don’t think it’s too cold. There’s enough warmth in the rocks to balance it out. I also like the SS chosen for the waves.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Hi Denis, this is gorgeous. I agree with @Michael_Lowe about the color temperature. If it were mine, I might burn the rock at the bottom a little more to bring the attention to the wave a little more. It’s a very nice juxtaposition of elements here: the rock and the wave. Very cool image!

1 Like

The image and color balance look good to me. I would second @Adhika_Lie 's suggestion on the bottom rocks. Kind of vignette the bottom area? Looks good either way.

1 Like

Denis, the WB/color looks fine to me too. The blue/green color of the water looks great, and the rocks are warm enough to create some nice color contrast. I also really like how the strong diagonal line of the channel sweeps the viewers eye through the composition. I agree with @Adhika_Lie and @Harley_Goldman about burning down / vignetting the bottom rocks, which would place more emphasis on the center of the image. I love the color/texture of the waves and rocks in the center, and this would draw more attention to it.

1 Like

I gotta admit I’m a fan of this image. Asilomar Beach near Monterey has similar types of rocks with similar types of erosion and they are stunning to look at. There is some fine color in that granite and really good texture as well. The repeated shapes in those rocks makes for a fine composition. I would burn in the rocks at the bottom with perhaps a gradient filter. There should be many fine opportunities for intimate landscapes in this area. Nice job.

1 Like

Thanks a lot folks!

Since basically everyone agrees the rocks at the bottom might need some burning, i did just that…

I had an even darker version, but this seemed a bit more natural.

Denis

What an outstanding photo! the colours are beautiful and work very good together.
I think the re-edit of the initial photo is spot on, the darkened edges lead the eye better into the scene.

I think my favorite feature, next to the structure of the rocks is the shutter speed and how it makes a very powerful leading line coming from the lower right corner.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the feedback, i am glad you like it!

1 Like

Denis,

Beautifully capture and composed seascape. I love the flow of the water (great shutter speed choice) diagonally through the frame; and balance with the picturesque rock.

As far as color balance, I think this is processed beautifully. Certainly NOT too cold; a great warm cool balance between the sea and rock.

I don’t have any suggestions or nitpicks. Beautifully executed and presented.

Lon

1 Like