Long exposure at La Vela, Italy

Hi guys, what do you think about this shot?
A long exposure with foreground stacked with background to obtain all the frame sharp.
I made some adjustments with LR and little bit of dodge and burn with PS.

ig: masdamb

3 Likes

Hi Massimo,
I like this very much! You did a good job exposure-wise and the stacking looks good to me as well. The sky looks very dramatic and even the bright parts are not blown out. I also like the cool color rendering. And the bird on top of the boulder is the icing on the cake. The only tiny nitpick (and for sure a matter of taste) is the central arrangement of the large boulder in the front and in the rock outcrop in the background. My recommendation would be to step a bit sideways and position the boulders more on a diagonal line: the front one bottom left and the background one top right (or vice versa).
Katharina

1 Like

This is cool. The rock in the water looks like a sailboat gliding along. Water looks great and mysterious with the slow shutter speed. The image works nicely for me.

1 Like

Very nice Massimo, well composed and processed. My only minor point and probably a personal thing, I find the WB a touch cold.

1 Like

I like how the diagonal from lower left to upper right is echoed in the FG, the rock in the BG, and also the outline of the dark cloud. And I do enjoy seeing the cormorant(?) on top of the sea stack. If it were my image, I am with @AndySimpson about the color balance but it is a personal choice so I am not too bothered by that. I am thinking you could burn the lower right corner ever so slightly?

1 Like

Hi Massimo,

I like this scene. Especially the moody storm clouds contrasting with the warm light. For me the key part of the composition is the zig zag formed between the long exposure water to the sea stack and the line in the clouds.

Below is a different interpretation of the scene. For me the luminosity of the rocks is too similar to the luminosity of the lighter clouds creating tension for my eye between the two. I’ve adjusted the tonal relationship so that hopefully the eye follows the long exposure water line and settles on the contrasty clouds and sea stack.

1 Like

Massimo, this image has a lot going for it, a strong subject and composition, dramatic weather, and interesting rocks (both onshore and offshore). I may differ from some of the other comments, but I love the use of a cooler white balance here. I think the cooler WB adds a very dramatic mood to this scene, one that is fitting with the stormy weather.

I think it does need some dodging and burning to better direct the viewers eye, and to appear more natural looking. The composition says the viewer should be looking at the offshore rock, but the brightest luminosity is in the foreground rocks and then the waves, so the viewers eye gets pulled there. I like what @Nathan_Klein has done to burn the foreground, but I would suggest going even further, burning both the rocks and waves, and then dodging the offshore rock.

1 Like

Thank you guys for all comments and suggestions, really appreciated.

I do like your image very much. To my eye, I found some of the foreground distracting from the sea stack. I applied a 4x5 vertical crop. I wish I’d been there with you.

1 Like