Death Valley Salt Pan

My current wallpaper. I routinely switch my wallpaper out as I process photos. My latest child is always my favorite. :sweat_smile: This is from our DV trip in spring 2019. I love the salt pans in the dunes, and the way their texture contrasts with the sand.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome. What about the border color? Too dark/tinted?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, a7r3, 100-400@100mm, f/16, 1/500s, ISO 500, probably hand held.

1 Like

Bonnie: Marvelous! I’ve only been to DV once but thoroughly enjoyed it and hope I get to go back. Nice find and wonderful light. Most excellent. >=))>

Bonnie, the textures and the subtly warm colors look great. Easy to see why you’re enjoying this as wallpaper. I also like the sweep of the salt pan and how it leads to the main bush. I think your border works very well, with its faint echo of the warm browns.

The processing is interesting, Bonnie. This kind of light is usually very hard to render in a pleasing way but you have done well here as the processing brings out that desert character really well. I also like the border and the drop shadow. Very very nice!

Thanks, @Bill_Fach, @Mark_Seaver, and @Adhika_Lie, for your comments.

Thanks. I figure if Guy Tal can do the drop shadow thing, I can too (that’s where I got the idea). :wink: Humorously, I’m in a FB critique group for general photography and they were just ripping on borders, and especially drop shadows. :sweat_smile: I’m quite liking them, myself.

1 Like

Beautiful desert scene, Bonnie. I love the light, it has that winter desert feel to it.

A very cool scene, Bonnie. I love the lighting and all the textures.

This is a very striking photo and presentation, Bonnie! Nicely composed with the salt pan taking you in and dropping you off at the large bush. The bushes help give it a very 3D effect with lots of presence, especially when viewing the large version. I also love the variety of shapes and texture plus the complimentary tones of browns. The border works great for me, especially with the drop shadow as it gives you a hint of what it would look like on the wall as a metal print with a float mount. Well done!

Thank you, @Harley_Goldman, @Dennis_Plank, and @Gary_Minish for your appreciation.