Death Valley Skyline

One more from the recent trip to DV with Dave Dillemuth. D810, 70-200.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Harley,

That’s one killer sky! Great colors - and processing looks true and spot on.

I say great sky, but for me, the image is more about the alternating, zig-zagging ridges that are the real story. Those layers are beautiful. I love how you managed to fit the darker formation within the bg ridges (which I’m quite certain you were paying attention to that,) That foreground ridge is dark, but has detail.

If you can’t tell, I LOVE the layered ridges (including the cool/warm contrast with the bg ridge and sky. So with that, my inclination is to want to crop for a more pano format. The length of the ridges and also the clouds are almost calling out for a narrow format. Of course your taste is all that matters.

Oh, just to be clear, this is quite beautiful as presented… :sunglasses:

Lon

I’ll have to second Lon’s thoughts on this beauty of a landscape, Harley. My first thought was also cropping to make a pano to emphasize the horizontal bands of color. Looks like you guys had a great trip to DV.

Harley, my first response was to the blurriness of the sky in direct comparison to the beautifully sharp ridge-lines. Did you use a slow shutter speed? I agree with taking a little off the top. Maybe a bit more contrast in the sky. But I fine sundown image from DV.

This is about that great sky. I do think the foreground ridges are fine as they are. In short: Don’t crop it. There’s a nice balance between the sky and the ridges that I feel do not lend to a pano crop.

I do like the blue ridge behind the darker foreground. That adds a sense of depth.

Nicely done!
-P

I’d vote for the crop as well, not only to emphasize those nicely staggered ridges but to focus on the horizontally layered clouds too.

Harley, this is wonderful. As others have pointed out, the zig-zag shapes of the ridge layers are great. But I also like how the layers in the clouds sort of mimic the layers in the ridges below. I also like the blue sky in the URC to play off against the blues of the ridge-lines. Thus I would prefer not to crop this image. And I think your processing of color, contrast, and saturation here is just perfect, nice color without being over the top.

Excellent, Harley. I remember this sunset… scrambling to find a composition. Looks like you did pretty well. Some real nice layering and beautiful mix of colors. Your processing looks good to me. Put me in the no crop camp. I agree with @Ed_McGuirk that the blue sky in the upper right adds more depth and balances the composition.

I love looking at an image and thinking about what I would say before reading the other comments.

I was going to recommend a crop—but a crop off the sides. As nice as the sky is, it’s the contrast with the edges of ridges in the middle that grab my eye. It might be interesting to try a vertical 8x10 or 5x7 ratio.

ML