Endless Ridges

A nice little wash in Death Valley strewn with volcanic rock.

D850, 70-200mm

2 Likes

This is fantastic, Harley. The zigzag of the wash pulls me nicely into this desert landscape and I am thoroughly enjoying the color palette in this image. The numerous ridgelines on both sides of the wash create some wonderful layering and add to the depth in the scene. Beautifully done.

Intriguing shapes, textures and repeating ridge lines all nicely framed. However, I find the color palette a bit discordant. I did a quick conversion to BW and find I prefer vs color.

The interesting ā€˜zigzagā€™ of the dark rock nicely moves into the scene, adding depth together with all the other lines from the almost golden surroundings. Some subtle burning could add extra contrast and depth to those lines maybe, since they all nicely point to the darker rock? I donā€™t have problems with the colors, but can imagine this working in b/w as well.
Interesting scene, nature put the pieces nicely together here!

A very fine wash, Harley. The deep batch of ridge lines and the contrasting zig-zag of the was are outstanding.

This definitely reminds me of my time in Death Valley. The contrast of the gold with the dark streambed comes together nicely with the patterns of erosion. Thatā€™s an apt title!

Harley, another very fine take from DNVP. This area of the park has always been a favorite of mine for the variety of colors in such a short distance overall. This scene provides us a small sample of those color variations. The yellow and black provide excellent contrasts tooā€¦ :sunglasses:
Once again, for me any image that provides that bit of wanting to venture deeper into the scene and follow the leading path or in this case dry wash is a real plusā€¦ :+1:

Harley, another fine abstract from DV, I like both this one and the wider view in your prior post. The texture in these badlands is simply wonderful. I really like the blue/purple color of the volcanic rock, itā€™s great. No nits from me, Iā€™m enjoying this as presented, great work.

After seeing all the fine DV images here at NPN, Iā€™m thinking of taking a trip to Death Valley in December 2020, I hope I can find badlands abstracts as interesting as this.

This is a cool wash indeed. I prefer this slightly more than the wider view you posted previously, Harley. Feels like itā€™s more abstract. I donā€™t mind the color combination, but perhaps thatā€™s because I have seen it enough time to take it as ā€œnaturalā€. I can see this in B&W but I feel that it will take away one thing that makes this wash interesting, the colors.

@Ed_McGuirk, if you do come, would you let me know? DV is a stone throw away from me, would love to get together. Maybe we should even schedule a meet up!