December Morning

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I don’t often get to photograph fog, because I’m usually rushing to work when I see it’s out there. I think this was a Saturday, and I was able to get out and play a little. I always enjoy fog on the river (the Mississippi). It made quite a minimalist scene. It’s not a “wow” image, but I find it peaceful.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

This goes back a bit in the archives, but I’ll see if I can find and add it on in the next day or two. I don’t have the exif with the small files.

I do know that I went out with the 85mm lens that day. I don’t often use it, preferring the 90mm macro for most of what I do. It was handheld, so I think it was just a basic shutter speed to avoid camera shake and most likely auto ISO. I preferred the more panoramic crop.

This is quite nice, Karla! The minimalist approach has given this scene a wonderful peaceful vibe that I find inviting. It just feels soft and dreamy with the way those two islands just fade away into the BG. My only suggestion might be to crop a little more from the bottom and make this more of a pano. Not necessarily better, just another option. Beautiful image! Here is what I was thinking.

Hi Karla - You mentioned that this isn’t a “wow” image, but I really enjoy scenes like this that are a little more understated and contemplative. I love the simplicity of this image and the minimalist look. I could go either way on the crop. I like your original crop as well as Ed’s more panoramic version. I think it’s a great image either way.

@Ed_Lowe and @John_Kilgour Thank you both for your comments and encouragement. I don’t often try something minimalist like this, but I like the style.

I also like the slightly more pano crop. Was this a 1:2, or would it be an unconstrained crop? I think I have gotten away from unconstrained, but I’m not sure there’s any good reason not too. Maybe that’s a discussion for the campfire chat. :smiley: