Defiance

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was a fantastic day. After all the heavy rains, the Split Rock River was flowing with some vengeance. The long exposure and softening of the raging river contrasted well with the large gnarled rock.

Specific Feedback

Any is welcome.

Technical Details

Canon EOS R5
3.2 Sec @ f 11
200 mm ISO 100

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Great contrasting effect of the detailed rock and the soft water! I’m surprised the water has just the perfect amount of detail with such a long shutter speed, but I guess it’s the small aperture. Just one nit that maybe doesn’t need addressing given your editing style: the one dark area top right of center is a bit distracting to my eye. Wonder how it would be to clone that out?
Dang, I LOVE the detail and light on the rock. Perfect black & white subject Todd.

Todd, I like the tension between the rock and the softness of the water. I agree with @Connie_McClaran about the detail in the water.

The “dog” watching the water rushing past is an intriguing concept, Todd and you’ve presented it very well here. Yes, cloning out or dodging the bit of darkness along the top of the frame would remove a minor distraction.