Waves

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In June, @David_Haynes, @John_Williams and I had a fun day shooting at Abiqua Falls. I had a very busy summer and am just getting back to processing the photos. This is a small scene just downstream of the falls.

Specific Feedback

Does this scene work? Mostly I’m concerned about the B&W conversion.

Technical Details

D850, 70-200 @ 150mm, ISO 64, .5 sec, f11

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

This works rather nicely for me Steve. The B&W conversion looks great and has a nice range of tones. I also like the details in the water along with the sense of movement. The diagonal with the placement of the rocks also works well. No suggestions from me.

Steve, this is a fine mix of rocks and moving water. The tonal contrast lets the big triangle of white water dominate even as it’s well contrasted by the dark water above and below and the stones angled across the frame.

Thank you @Ed_Lowe and @Mark_Seaver for your comments!

Steve; this seems to me to be a very well composed and well captured image. I like the comment by @Mark_Seaver regarding the triangle formed. I really enjoy looking at the textures of the water formed by the 0.5 sec shutter speed. I also find the lines formed by what appear to me to be small cascades going from approximately lower right to upper left. I also find I like the large black rock in the lower left. It gives me a starting point to observe the image. I think if I had been at this scene I would have captured the sky which would have ruined this small scene. (I learned something)!

Thank you for the comment @Willemd! I took a few different shots of this scene and went with a “less is more” decision.