Delicate Situation

Repost, with gratitude to @Kris_Smith and @Diane_Miller Lightening up the LRC balances the image a lot. When creating the jpg using PS (save a copy) or LR (export), the banding is not present when viewing the jpg in LR, PS, or Photos, but appears when viewed with a browser. I was able to reduce the banding almost entirely using PS > Export > Save for Web.

Original post is below

This delicate, gentle, trailing Phacelia climbed up a sturdy, dangerous agave to find its place in the sun. One windy day and the agave’s thorns could shred the little guy. I went with monochrome in an attempt to emphasize that story.

Specific Feedback Requested

Should this have been submitted to Macro/Close-up instead of Flora?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Focus stack of two images using Photoshop and manual masking.
Canon 5DIII with 100-400 lens and extension tube, to act as a macro lens.
Processed in LR and PS for contrast and elimination of distractions.

The story and the image match for sure. The flowers do seem at risk somehow and as an underdog, I naturally pull for them. There is some odd banding in the ULC and a halo around the flowers that I’m not sure about. I’d like some greater variation in tonalities as well. I was always taught that a B&W image needs both black and white to succeed and there is a lot of gray here. I has poignancy though and I think that’s your intention. Not sure how I feel about having only two thorns present - the one nearest the flowers is the most threatening, but the upper one seems superfluous. A lot to think about with this one.

1 Like

Fine critique. Funny thing about the top thorn … it was soft before I found my second exposure which I focus-stacked to bring the anthers into focus. I will try fading that top thorn a bit, as it does draw the eye.

Overall, I think I probably will stick with moderate darks.

Very interesting story in that juxaposition. I like the B/W but find the dark area in the LR pulls my eye. Would be easy to clone if you’re into that.

I wonder if the banding came from the JPEG conversion? It might be possible to reduce it in the raw file.