Precarious

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image is probably a little unorthodox; at least for me; so I thought I would throw it out there and see what other’s thoughts are. As a rule I like my FG sharp, but that was not going to work in this instance due to the blowing wind. I did not think a focus stack would work because the lupine would not be in the same place for every image; although looking back I probably should have at least tried it.

The water drop was already going to be the focus of the image so I made sure it was sharp and did not worry about anything else. When processing I slightly darkened the corners a little so hopefully the viewer would go straight to the water drop. For the sake of honesty I did clone out some dirt spots in the drop.

This Nikon 105 macro is sharp, but you have to get pretty close when setting up so I had to be careful so as to not disturb that drop. I miss my D800 and 180 Sigma macro lens because of the greater working distance. If only Nikon would let third party lens manufacturers make lenses for their Z system.

Specific Feedback

Hopefully this works, but either way I am interested in your thoughts on this.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 105 macro, cable release & tripod.

I like this a lot, Ed. The soft focus on the lupine leaves doesn’t matter in this case as they’re just serving as a frame for the drop.

You can’t even use your Sigma with an adapter in manual mode? That is ugly. I held off on buying a macro for my Sony because they were all in the 100 mm range (and I could still use my Canon 180 with an adapter). Then Sony just came out with a 70-200 that focuses close enough to get .5 life size across the whole zoom range, so hopefully Nikon will follow suit before too long.

1 Like

Ed, I love the strong leading lines zooming in the center of the lupine leaves. I also like the symmetry you captured while at the same time having the water droplet not in the dead center. I think one shot, instead of a focus stack, was just fine. You got yourself a beautiful image here.

1 Like

Many thanks @Dennis_Plank and @Egídio for taking a moment to leave your thoughts on this one. Glad you both enjoyed it.
Dennis: I could have got an adapter, but everything would have been manual. I wanted to lighten the load so I sold the D700 and the D800 with all the lenses and accessories. As you mentioned “hopefully Nikon will follow suit”. :crossed_fingers:

Nice shot, Ed. the water droplet is like a little jewelin a little display stand of symetrical green leaves in a nice fan pattern. nice processing. Personally, i would like the leaves in focus but that’s just my personal opinion and I understand your choice in the field.

Lupines always hold water so well, don’t they? I like the target influence of this one. In terms of what’s sharp and what isn’t, I think with this subject you put it where it needs to be. That (as you know) isn’t always the closest to the lens, but by putting it where you did it makes the most sense without forcing the viewer to deal with competing in focus areas. The slight magnification the water drop created is nice, too.