Dew Drops

I had to be very careful while moving about the lupine field so as not to disturb these lovely morning dew drops clinging to the lupine leaves. I did a little darkening of the BG so as to minimize the OOF areas. Hopefully I succeeded. What do you think?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C weclome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D700, Sigma 185 macro, f 22 @ 0.4 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is a wonderful shot, Ed. It could have easily have fit into the macro category as well. I just love the dew drops, everywhere on this lupine plant. The composition is very pleasing to the eye. That one large dew drop magnify’s the center of the plant nicely, and the leading lines draws the eye into the image. The greens are very nice. :+1::+1:

Ed, a wonderful closeup here. A super find and or scouting among the gathering of lupines out there. The full collection of dew drops makes this one really work well. As near as I can tell the post processing and BG darkening you mention seems just fine too. Really nice work on this one…:+1::sunglasses:

Remarkable image. The water adds so much. The off-center comp looks good too.

Ed, this is one of the best “water drops on lupine leaf” images that I have seen in a long time, and I have seen and taken a lot of them myself :grinning:

I love the composition, and your relatively higher contrast processing of the image. Sharpness and DOF look perfect. You really nailed this one, great work !!!

This is an outstanding image, Ed. The sharpness of the drops and leaves and the separation from the background all look great.

Wow, Ed, this is great. Love the off center composition with the radiating leaves. The big drop makes a nice center of interest and all the drops on the leaf edges are icing on the cake. Great control of dof. I only see one or two drops that are oof. Well done.
:vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

Thanks to everyone @Shirley_Freeman, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Tony_Kuyper, @Ed_McGuirk, @Mark_Seaver and @Michael_Lowe for taking a look and leaving your thoughts; much appreciated. This was the only time I have had the good fortune to capture an image with all those water drops perched precariously along the edges of the leaves.

1 Like

Ed, this is pretty amazing. Before reading your description, I could have sworn it was a palmetto. The large central droplet compared to all the rest really drives it home as to how close you were. Remarkable!

Pleasing design, detail and subject. Perfect from my pov. No nits from me.

Ed: I love drop images and this is a really good one. Superb comp and a fine capture. >=))>

Wowza! (officially my shortest critique ever!)

Outstanding Ed!