Denali #101

Image: Denali #101

Description: I was fortunate to see Denali often on a two week stay in AK and enjoyed the many different ways of seeing.

Specific Feedback Requested: any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Pentax K-7, 1/1000, f/6.0, 300mm, ISO 200

The colors in this piece are fantastic and immediately caught my eye. I appreciate the composition, especially the use of the dark foreground to really highlight Denali in the background, just peaking out. Beside the image not appearing sharp - likely due to the resolution you outputted it at? - I do go back and forth regarding the diagonal line in the piece. Part of me wonders if it would not be more effective if the photograph were flipped horizontally, so the foreground diagonal rises up, rather than falling down.

John, yes, it is indeed lucky to see Denali as clear as you have in this photo. I had a similar experience in Alaska during the three days we spent in Denali NP. It’s a sight one never forgets. Your photo is so beautiful. Besides the mountain itself, the sky is captivatingly gorgeous. The colors are very subdued and effective that way.

I have a question about the FG in terms of composition. I would not have included so much of it if I had edited this photo. I find the FG overpowering Denali in this composition. One of the things I always found impressive about Mt. Denali is how enormous it is. In this particular scene, I get the opposite feel.

Thanks for sharing such an elusive view of this beautiful mountain.