Desert Bighorn, Party of 10

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Southern Californians may recognize this venue – Borrego Palm Canyon, Anza Borrego Desert State Park – where it is not unusual to encounter the gentle Desert Bighorn Sheep. Obviously here I was more than fortunate to catch this bachelor group browsing their way through the spring grasses and blooms.

Specific Feedback

I have struggled to edit this in different ways but somehow always feel that the end result, while honoring the desert light, sheep coloration and landscape palette, is too bright and washed out. Not sure what to do about it, or whether to try. Maybe darken the plants? I have printed this fairly large and the sharpness holds up, but again, seems too bright. Maybe clever matting and framing would save it!

Technical Details

Olympus EM1 Mark II, F11, 1/500th, ISO 200

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

HI James, nice scene you captured with fine DOF. F11 worked out nicely. I could see this being realistic in the desert in terms of lighting even though a bit of darkening might enhance the image. Maybe back off contrast a tad also. Still, this is a very fine image of the bighorns.

Thanks Allen! I think it could be competitive or commercially appealing if well framed. I’ll work on what you suggested.

James, this is a great image of a bunch of rams working their way down the hill. I love the rocks, the landscape, the foliage and the flowers. I hope you don’t mind, but I tried to use some of @Allen_Sparks thoughts to work on your image a bit. I use PS Elements, so don’t have a much sophisticated software to work with, but I just darkened the levels, lowered the brightness, and darkened highlights just a touch.

James: to have captured this many bighorns with most looking outwards is truly unique. I can understand your desire to burn the bright areas. One suggestion is to go into curves. Using the targeted adjustment tool, click on a bright area then using the spot on the curve that the tool generates, lower the curve to darken the bright areas.
This will affect all the bright areas which may be too much for your tastes, but is a reasonable starting point. From there, masks and layers will be needed.

Thanks Richard

Thanks for these efforts Ed – These edits show it is possible to add the richness I felt was washed out by the desert setting. Probably will have to edit down to several levels of increased darkening and try a series of small prints to find out if I’ve overdarkened. Shouldn’t cost too much, especially if I find the sweet spot and can get a nice sized framed print or metal print. These rams have very subtle colors; got to be careful to not push them over to a sable color. Good problems to have, however!