Desert Patterns III + Repost

One last sandstone detail from my travels in the desert. Next up will be photos from the reason for my trip out west, which was a raft trip through the Grand Canyon with Gary Hart Photography.

5D2, 24-105 @ 55
Handheld, f/11, 1/250s, ISO100
TK curves adjustments

Here is a cropped version based on Igor’s comment.

4 Likes

Craig, very enjoyable. Because there is no scale comparison here, this feels very aerial to me. There is a nice flow to the image because of the lighter “strip” that sweeps through the image.

Hi Craig,

This is a nice abstract treatment of a slab of sandstone. I like this image because it sparks my imagination with the sweeping lines and subtle color bands. Awesome and like the image as presented…Jim

Really like the graphic nature of this abstract. Nice see!

A beautiful desert abstract Craig, the reflected light here is gorgeous. As noted by @Adhika_Lie , I love the lighter “strip” that sweeps across the image. The way this strip cuts against the grain of the diagonal lines in the rock also adds a very dynamic element to this image. Very well seen and composed Craig, I like this very much as presented.

This image, to me, looks better and better as it gets larger. There are many fine detail in the rock surface that the larger versions reveal better. The colors are wonderful and the composition, with a small exception, is as well. There’s a nice rhythm in these layers that go diagonally that give energy and and stability. The one issue I would bring up is the lighter wedge in the llc. I think the image is stronger without it.

The vibrant color, diagonal lines, and textures all make this image come alive. Excellent abstract Craig.

Thanks @Adhika_Lie, @Jim_Zablotny, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Ed_McGuirk, @Igor_Doncov and @Eva_McDermott!

Igor, while that lighter bit on the LLC doesn’t bother me, I see your point about it potentially being stronger with a crop. I can’t seem to download the larger version, and I’m not currently on my home computer, but I’ll play around with that and see how it works. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Igor_Doncov, I posted a crop of the image up top, and I really like your suggestion. That lighter vertical band didn’t match with all the other vertical bands, so it was best to remove it. I left just a little bit in the LLC because I liked the crop better overall, so I just added a bit of color and darkened it up to better match the rest.

1 Like