Crossing Pattern

In recent wandering through the southwest, I was in an area with a lot of sandstone patterns. This is a small scene of rock detail.

D850, 70-200mm

Lovely layering of the sandstone here, Harley. The light on the scene is intense and shows wonderful detail throughout. Nothing like taking a walkabout along the dry wash areas and taking in these canyon sidewalls… :sunglasses:

Very nice lines and textures, Harley. The diagonal bedding is icing on the cake. The thumbnail looked a tad bright, but the large version looks perfect. Great light, wonderful color, and fine processing.
-P

Hey @Harley_Goldman

Such and interested small scene, the tones and light are perfect for me.and the details on the stone are amazing. Funny how something so small can have so many details for the eyes to wonder.
The only change o would make is to re crop to make the diagonal a true diagonal of the image, and at the same time hiding those details on the LLC, they are very interesting on their own but I think they steal the attention from that diagonal layer that is, for me, the main and most interesting subject.
It’s a beautiful minimalist image that would be great on any wall, thanks for sharing.
Cheers

Reflected light on sandstone is a beautiful thing, isn’t it? The multitude of yellow and orange colored bands just has so much visual impact. While the strong diagonal line is obviously great, I also really appreciate the darker brown line at the bottom, it adds a lot balance to the image. A really beautiful small scene Harley, great work.

With my own images of sandstone like this, in post-processing I have often have sharpening problems, it’s very easy to get the texture of the sandstone looking over-sharpened. If you don’t mind my asking, what sharpening technique/tool did you use here? You really did a nice job of maintaining texture, without having it appear over-sharpened.

Thanks, Ed! I used TK’s sharpening at I think 20%. I normally use it at 50% for web, but closeup sandstone starts looks really gritty at that setting.

Beautiful colors Harley. This would do very well as a large wall hanging in complimentary room. I see a lot of crops in there, but honestly don’t think any are a significant improvement. I agree that sharpening these is tricky, and that this looks good.

I am enjoying the beautiful light and rich color Harley. Wonderful detail too.

Hi @Harley_Goldman, i like composition an tones. Very balanced and well presented shot. Thanks for sharing.