Desert Snow +Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Driving along the Apache Trail in Central Arizona I ran across a wall of rocks with vibrant yellow-green lichen, lit up by the afternoon sun. The first challenge was to find a place to pull off the road safely and find a grouping of rocks I could isolate. Other challenges, along this stretch of the Trail, are staying on the road while seeing all of the potential for images pass by and trying to avoid including the abundant power lines in the image. I did have to clone out a small section of lines from the upper left corner.

Specific Feedback

Getting the color right was difficult for me. The lichen really does get this yellow-green, in the sunlight, and covers large sections of rock. Composition was also a challenge, because of the power lines. hiking in would have eliminate the direct sunlight breaking through the clouds.

Technical Details

Processing in LRC, with cloning of LUC, Small amount of dodging and burning, color and contrast adjustments

Marlin, the title is catchy and very fitting. The touches of green help guide the eye through the composition. There is a nice balance in the foreground of yellow rock, midground of brown, and distant mountains. The clouds have enough detail to hold their own in the composition. I have only one tiny observation. A subtle vignette would help maintain the interest toward the center of the frame. Rocks certainly can be interesting.

Thank you, Barbara,
We seldom get to see these rocks covered with real snow, so I thought the title was fun.
I did apply some vignetting in the first post, but as usual I may have been to timid with the sliders. I used the vignette tool in LRC rather than a mask. Don’t trust my unsteady hand with “painting” it on yet. The repost has a slightly heavier vignette, and I do like the overall effect. Again, Thank you.

I believe the second version is an improvement on a great composition.