Determined!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Oh man, when you have this over 500 lb black bear within feet of you the adrenaline is flowing. He certainly was after the birdseed but was not afraid of humans either. He walked out of the woods as we arrived and decided he needed to come closer to check the humans out that were taking photos of him. He got so close to me that I decided to retreat into the cabin for safety reasons.

Specific Feedback

I understand my nose is not in focus and that is ok for me as I will never sell this photo but it will be a great photo for the story.

Technical Details

Focal length - 437mm
Shutter Speed - 1/30
Exposure - F8
ISO 1600
Canon EOS R6 + EF 100 - 400mm with a 1.4xt

Wow, Tina, that’s really close! Had to check the focal length to make sure you weren’t face to face, ha ha. The nose is not bad and at least the eyes are sharp and so glad you included those claws, which add a lot to the story. That looks like one determined bruin and you captured his look and stance nicely.

Jim, he certainly was determined for sure. He was so fun to capture and observe.

Thanks for the feedback and yes I am glad the eyes were sharp for sure.

Tina, you were very close…retreating seems smart. In a close-up like this getting the eyes sharp is the most important part. I’m also intriqued by the sharp look at the claws, which means that you were shooting at an angle. The fact that it’s not looking at you, means that you’ve weren’t a target as you took this, but that could change in a heartbeat.

Hi Mark,

You are correct I was not a target and was at an angle for sure. Nice observation! He was dead set on getting the bird food which was taken down after this guy emerged from hibernation. Thanks for the comment!