Diagonal

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the minimalist aesthetic and the contrast within the leaves. I’m happy with the result.

Creative direction

Inspired by the work of Jack Curran. Originally shot with black and white and a dark, minimalist image in mind. I really enjoy diagonals in an image and that was the motivation in selecting this particular plant. It was my first real serious effort in producing an image like this an I am satisfied with the result.

Specific Feedback

How do people feel about these types of images.

Technical Details

OM System OM-1. 47mm, F11, 1 second, ISO 200 High Res shot. on a tripod.

Description

On a boardwalk in the Daintree, North Queensland, Australia. Typical rainforest. I was just looking at taking images of parts of plants as I wanted to combine shapes in a dark, moody image.

1 Like

G’day Mark, welcome, and I like this a lot. The overlapping blades and the varied tones give a great sense of depth to this shot. And it’s a fine composition. I’ve just bought the OM-1 but haven’t tried the High Res function yet, so this will inspire me. Did you also set the B and W in-camera, and did you use the 60mm macro lens?

G’Day Mike. No it was the 12-100/4 @47mm. My usual travel lens, very versatile. It was an 80mx image to start with so you just have to watch the processing. I only had my wife’s MacBook Air with me so I had to keep flattening the image after certain adjustments were locked in to keep the overall file size down.

1 Like