Did you get me flying?

The answer to that question was barely. As seen in the last two shots. This photograph was taken on Assateaque Island, on Sept. 13, at 8:52 AM. I believe this is a Peregrine Falcon and not a Prairie Falcon only because of the Prairie has triangle shaped patch on the under wing.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested

any. I didn’t think DXO Photo Lab could clone out the branches around the Falcon’s head cleanly.

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon100-500mm, & 1.4ext, f9, 600mm, ISO. 320. The shots are cropped by 70% and I adjusted the exposure and highlight. In the first shot I used a local brush to better color balance the wing and leg feathers.

Wow…congratulations on capturing a falcon in flight and perched!

I personally prefer the portrait of the bird perched on the branch because of the detail and the story the picture tells, e.g. the size of its head compared to the body, the sharp talons and beak and the intense dark eye. I don’t find the branches behind the head distracting as there is more than one and they create some depth. This is a stunning bird and this photo conveys that.

Of the photos of the bird in flight I prefer the one with the trees included as part of the story, and also I can see more of the head and the angle of the wings show movement. I don’t know much about reducing the noise other than decreasing the cropping.

This is my first reply to a request for critique so I hope you found useful.

1 Like

Hi Robena
Thank you for the comments. The in flight shots were just an add on and I would give them a c+ at best. This is a beg crop and DXO cleaned up most of the noise created from pushing the sharpening.
Peter

Hi Peter,

That is a sweet little merlin. Perched version is good, although lighting is very strong. In flight photos are sharp, but we have to work on getting the merlin to fly towards you. For the perched version, you could crop some from the left if so desired. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Super catches – the flight shots are a worthy footnote! And thanks, @Jim_Zablotny – I’m not a birder but I didn’t think it was a Peregrine (at least not our west coast coloration, if there is any variation), although not that familiar with a Prairie Falcon.

Hi Jim, Diane & Max.
Ii didn’t think. of it being a Merlin, because my Birds of North America, shows the Merlin with a whiter under belly. Looking at the tail now I can see the four bands of lighter feathers. Merlin.
Thank you for the correction.
Peter
Ps: I well have to check with the Merlin Air Traffic Control and see they are willing to post their flight plans and arrival times.
There is a repost.

1 Like

Merlin was also my guess due to the slighter build and body proportions.

I do like the first portrait. You certainly nailed the technical aspect on the flight shots… it’s just a pity the take-off angle was so sharply pointed away.

Good job on this. The detail on the perched image is superb. One needs to be lucky that they fly in your direction for the flight shots.

A Magnificent Merlin, Peter! My favorite is the perched pose, with those beefy strong legs being flexed and ready to rumble! Beautiful.

Hi David & Mark
Thank you for the comments, it was fun trying to photograph the Marlin.
Peter