Diminishing supplies

Diane’s shot of the germinating acorn made me go out into the yard with the macro lens. It was a little too breezy to do a lot of focus stacking, but I liked this arrangement and just used two images to create this one. Really to get the top and the bottom of the fern frond in focus. It’s barely visible to the naked eye, but that little vein knocks me out. This is a little experimental because of the extreme OOF foreground, but I liked the way it looked and spent a lot of time positioning the camera to get that stem where I wanted it. Then I did a lot of ‘gardening’ in the background to get things subdued.

My husband, who knows my penchant for tiny things like this came by and asked if I was into ‘spores, molds and fungus’. Of course, but I don’t have feelings of dread in my basement or attic.

Specific Feedback Requested

Open to anything. I can probably go reshoot this since it’s next to the driveway and it’s an evergreen fern so will stay this color until spring.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod or beanbag, probably tripod, the beanbag was too low, but I tried it.

Lr processed for a little crop and a whole lot of adjustment to the forward fern - lowered saturation & brightness. Brush and radial filters here and there to smooth tonalities. Zerene for a 2-image stack since I thought blending these two would be tricky in Ps. I think this is a DMap image.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Definitely worth shooting more of this – it’s a little jewel! I’m not excited about the fallen leaf leaning away from the fern, though.

You mean the curly one @Diane_Miller ? I kind a liked it. Verisimilitude I suppose. The messiness of the forest floor, but not too much. I tried shooting again yesterday, but too windy.