Dinner Time

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I visited a local dam, I had heard there were eagles there. When I got there, there were no eagles in sight so I didn’t get my tripod out of the car. I wish I had because once near the dam, the eagles were flying. This was taken handheld.

Specific Feedback

Basic feedback, please

Technical Details

Canon R6, Canon 100-500 mm, with 1.4 extender. f9, 1/2000, ISO 1250. Processed in Lightroom.
Handheld

2 Likes

Terry, what a Great shot of survival of the fittest. Top of the food chain has to eat. This shot is so crisp and clear. There is a lot of detail in the eagle and fish. Did the R6 do that or software? This would be nice to cut and paste onto a poster or something. I don’t think a tripod would have helped on this shot. My only thought was of the BG. I know you had no control of the lighting at the time, but it seems the Lt side is a little bright compared to the far Rt. third. Too bad you were not able to catch the blue water. If possible, maybe a run thru PS. Thanks.

Hi Terry. Welcome to NPN and the Avian Forum. This is a really cool moment you caught with great wing position and lots of energy. When I look at the largest image, I see a strange mixture of sharpness and lack of detail in other areas. For instance there is no feather detail in the head of the eagle and parts of the wings, though there’s plenty in the leading edge of the wings and the body. There’s a similar issue with the fish. If this was a large crop, that could account for part of the issue. The other cause is some of the AI noise reduction/sharpening programs out there that get carried away if you’re not very careful. If the detail was there in the raw file, I’d go back and reprocess the noise reduction to see if that helps. This is a really fine image and I’d like to see you get the most out of it.

Welcome again, and I look forward to seeing a lot more of your work and your comments on others efforts.

Thank you. I did run through LR and Topaz for the noise reduction. I will take a look at the RAW file and reprocess and see it that helps. I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you. I will run through PS and see what I can do with the background. My photo with the actual catch was not sharp. I appreciate your feedback.

I use Topaz as well , works great.

Here is a new edit. It is a large crop, but I ran through PS and took out the building that was in the background, using the clone stamp and patch tool. I did a slight denoise in Topaz

Here is the edit you suggested using PS clone stamp and patch tool

1 Like

Hi Terry, nice catch of this regal bird catching a large meal. The reposts looks a good bit better to me in terms of detail especially on the head of the bird. Working on the background has really helped too.

Looks great Terry. I like the BG on this one as well.

Welcome to NPN Terry. This is such an amazing action shot! I like what you’ve done with the reposts. Great details and subject matter doesn’t get any better.

Thank you for your comments

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback.