Displaying Brandt's Cormorant

I posted a similar pose, possibly from this same bird, this past spring, but I ran across this image and thought it made a slightly better starting point.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Does the bird look natural or did I bring the blacks up too much?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything that strikes you.

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, handheld from pontoon excursion boat, f/8 1/4000, iso 1000, aperture priority, pattern metering, -2/3 EV. Processed in LR & PS CC. Taken at the Moss Landing marina, CA at 11:17 am on March 9th.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What a great pose you captured, Dennis. The blacks look fine on my monitor. Everything look great. That was great shot to be taken handheld in a boat! I can see why the high shutter speed.

It looks just fine to me Dennis. Very nice.

excellent image - fine detail in the blacks and ear tufts, and great pose.
Feels tight at the bottom - but I’m guessing there was something objectionable there you cropped out.
Sandy

Wonderful color and detail with an exciting pose. I think I would add a little more to the perch area just because the feet are so close to the bottom of the frame.

Works for me. I agree could used a little more space at bottom, but a fine capture.

lucy

My first thought when viewing was “beautiful detail in the blacks” so there’s the answer to your question. :wink: I really like this unusual (to me) pose and color. I do add another vote for a bit more room at the bottom but it’s not a deal killer to me . Very nice image.

I like it, awesome pose to capture. The crop feels blockish to me though, if this were my image, I probably would’ve done a wider 16:10 crop with the bird on the left.