Distant Hills

I worked hard on social distancing last week and got away to the desert where I did not see another person for a week. It was nice and relaxing and a great respite from the current turmoil.

I waited for about a half hour for light to hit these distant hills. Light came through the clouds all around but did not want to light up that area. I left the image on the dark side, wanting to bring attention to the hills and sky.

1 Like

This is a wonderful image Harley. I love the formation of the clouds. I like the detail in them and think your choice of keeping the image on the dark side is quite appropriate. Glad you found a place to get away and relax.

I really, really like that circular opening in the the clouds. It really speaks of hope and to better days ahead. Nice work!

Nice, Man. Great atmosphere. The pano crop works well - really evokes the feeling of expansiveness. The light on the distant hills provides a great focal point but I think it could be dodged a bit. I took a stab. TK red/yellow lights mask on a dodge layer.

Thanks, @Dave_Dillemuth. A subtle but nice change. Thanks for the comments, @Tom_Nevesely and @linda_mellor !

This is a really sweet scene Harley. I did not notice the mountains in the smaller image (I though they were light rays). Then when I called up the larger image, I had that aha moment when i realized they were mountains instead. I’m really glad you kept the cooler WB here, it generates a lot of mood and atmosphere. I agree with @Dave_Dillemuth about a gentle dodge of the distant hills .

Harley,

This is one of those images that MUST be viewed large. The focal point is of course the highlighted “little” mountain on the dark ridge and the delicate light on the immediate foreground works beautifully. But it’s really the very subtle but immense presence of the Sierra in the bg that just can’t be appreciated in the smaller view. This image just comes alive in the larger view. That’s it.

I had the same thoughts as Dave and really like his suggested edit.

This is really understated Harley and yet quite powerful.

Lon