Solace

Image:

Description:

Another campsite vista in the San Rafael Swell, UT. Sometimes it’s so reassuring to see no signs of humans.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All and all feedback appreciated, thanks!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon EOS RP + EF100-400

This is nice Cathy! I love the light on the mid distant ridge line. The image could use a little more contrast. and the line of clouds tells me the image needs to be leveled.

I downloaded the file and did some editing as an example. After leveling the image, I wanted to bring out more detail of the mountains in the background so I added a bit of texture (that worked better than contrast in this case, added a narrow radial mask with the end points well beyond the image edges covering just a band along the horizon and increased contrast and texture slightly. I hope you don’t mind.

Thanks Steve! Great suggestions. I especially like the added contrast on the distant mountain. And the level clouds are better too!

Cathy,

What a wonderful grand landscape! The expanse of the vista is impressive and I like all the layers you’ve captured and I especially like the semi-pano format accentuating all those layers. And I think how Steve brought out the far ridge line.

the only thing I can’t decide on is the presence of the darker cloud in the ULC, upper left corner. I love the dramatic clouds as they add a wonderful layer and element to the image and I certainly wouldn’t want to lose any of the rest of the sky… so perhaps some dodging or other techniques to reduce the eye draw. Not a huge deal, and my only nitpick or suggestion.

thanks for posting!

Lon, thanks for your comments! I see what you mean about the dark cloud as an eye draw. I’ll try that in the edit too (along with Steve’s suggestions)…