Don Robinson State Park, 07/02/2020

What makes this image expressive?

It was an early am capture with some mild fog present in the area. While fog just seems to naturally add at least a bit of moodiness to a shot, it was actually the 3 foreground trees that made the scene for me. Being right on the edge of a wood line, the light available for them to receive was significantly brighter than the dark & moody woodlands which they almost seem to be protecting.

Specific Feedback Requested

Whatever thoughts anyone has would be appreciated.

4 Likes

Thanks RJ for the image and background. My first impressions are really positive. There is a curious dichotomy between harmony and dissonance which is unusual in an aesthetic. It feels harmonious, but is somehow also off balance. There is a sense that the right side is isolated, but at the same time represents solidity and independence.

The overall green hues feel open and optimistic, I feel only a slight sense of dread in this image, which can be a side-effect of the deeper recessed shadows in the mid right.

My only area of concern is the top right corner, the light filtering through there feels a little bit like an escape route and I wonder if there would be a way to clone that out in some way as to make it less obtrusive.

All in all, an image that I liked as soon as I saw it, the luminosity of the main trees is striking and doesn’t look in any way forced, although I appreciate some degree of dodging may have been necessary.

Love it, and thanks for sharing.

1 Like