Double Iris Eye Candy

Description:

One of our surviving iris that has produced some spectacular flowers. It has been hot and very windy so outside flower photography is out of the question for now. So into the studio with a Bell’s Oberon beer bottle for an impromptu vase. I used 3 flashes to light the flowers that were positioned against as black velvet BG in a Cowboy Studio soft box. and I tinkered with the exposure until enough detail popped up in the shadows.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850 105mm f2.8 Micro (1/125 sec at F18, ISO 160, main flash 1.7, 2 shadow flashes at 1.3 ttl mode) Slight crop, Topaz DeNoise AI, Levels, Brightness & Contrast.
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

It looks like you had two on a single stem - the upper one is saying: “One day, my son, you’ll be as tall as me”. Detail, colours, comp are all 5-stars in my book, Jim. Great shot.

1 Like

Really beautiful, Jim. You did a fine job with lighting and the Iris stand out so nicely against that black BG. Very well done. I don’t think I have seen a double Iris before. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Nicely done. I like the tight cropping. Spot on technically.

1 Like

Wow another smashing shot, Jim. The light looks terrific - just enough contour and detail to be interesting, but not too constrasty or crunchy. The color looks natural and you’ve got the whites perfect. I wouldn’t change a thing.

1 Like

Classic image, Jim. It feels like a formal portrait of the Iris. Awesome.

1 Like