Iris

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have some Iris blooming – one of the few things that doesn’t get eaten here, except by bugs. I picked this one and brought it inside for a focus stack.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome! I always find it more fun to explore flowers up close than to try to do descriptive shots.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 11.01.59 AM

Only a WB correction for the subs in LR, then to Zerene Stacker. I think it was about 35 frames. Some cleanup on the stack in PS.

1 Like

This one really works for me as it’s presented here, Diane. A real beauty… :sunglasses:

A beautiful image of the essence of iris, Diane. I don’t know if you did any cropping, but my eye keeps wanting the center of the blossom to move just a bit right in the frame.

Thanks, @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Dennis_Plank! I see your point, Dennis. I was shooting stacks of 30 or 40 and kept moving the camera (or the vase) by millimeters and shooting again, and got burned out. (Thank God for being able to auto-stack by capture time in LR, so each stack was identifiable.

I thought I wanted to keep the lighter curly piece of the petal on the right, but maybe it’s not important? Being pixel-greedy, I don’t have a composition with more on the left.

:drooling_face:

Ok, so that was a drooling emoji. What a stunning beauty. I wish I had them in this color combination. Really a wonder of genetic engineering. The center is definitely the focal point here, but I don’t mind the bg being somewhat lighter because that’s probably another one back there and it compliments well. Drool-worthy texture and detail and lickable light. Oy, that probably went too far. :laughing:

1 Like

I agree about going for up-close flower shots. We’ve all seen loads of whole iris shots, including some winners, but this “bee’s-eye” view is much more interesting. All the more so for being off-centre in both dimensions. How did you keep the flower in a rock-steady position for your shots, Diane?

Thanks, @Mike_Friel – I hadn’t though about a bee’s-eye view – I like the analogy! It was cut and brought inside, propped in a small vase on the dining table. I liked the view from the angle its weight naturally pulled it so didn’t have to try to prop it up, which never works well. The light is from a large sliding glass door behind me and windows on the left. I achieved the lovely BG by propping up a piece of common cardboard. It was close to sunset and the light was warm but indirect. I was surprised and delighted with the color so didn’t mess with it.

Diane, this is so gorgeous! Love the colors. I have never tried to shoot the inside of an iris. You captured the details so nicely in this beauty. I like how the colors in the BG pick up some of the colors in the iris. Well done.

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman – you should try it with your macro setup and skills! Re the BG color – luck has always been my best strategy.

Thanks, Diane. I am not sure about the talent, but I don’t have any Iris in bloom around me right now. We have a few in our flower bed, but they don’t bloom much, and they are white. I would prefer colors like what you have here.

Thanks for these details, @Diane_Miller - just proves that simple is often best. The way the colour of the flower merges fuzzily into the BG just adds to the effect beautifully.

I just love, love, love to zoom in and gorge on the fabulous detail and colours, a real “bee’s eye” view as @Mike_Friel so aptly put it… an ultra HD super gorgeous bee’s eye view ! The framing and perspective draw the eye right in, the textures are fantastically vivid and the soft and luminous background is properly delicious. A real feast of luxury for the eyes!

Beautiful shot !!! maybe a slight vignette …