Iris

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve missed my favorite iris this year, which bloomed while I was eclipse chasing, so this one will have to do. We had some rain yesterday but also some wind, but this morning it was mostly calm and I headed out first thing hoping for some raindrops or dew. This may be a little of both and this horizontal petal is about the only noticeable amount I found.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome! I liked the unusual angle, but to someone who wasn’t there it may look odd.

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 3.42.09 PM

Focus stack with only a limited range used, and then some low-opacity cloning tp soften contrast in some areas.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

A very interesting and different angle on an iris, Diane. A nice choice for depth of field and the water drops are beautiful.

This is absolutely elegant Diane. The water drops are wonderful, but the bell of the ball is the color palette, both in the soft blues of the flower petals and the soft greys of the BG. I really like your DOF in this and the soft edges all around. It is much like a wonderful watercolor painting.

So pale and delicate - like it’s in fog or mist. The raindrops are probably what gives me this impression as well as the gray background. Quite harmonious. I wonder if you could bring out the yellowish tones in the center of the petals. Such amazing texture, too. Velvety.

So cool and fresh. Just the right amount in focus surrounded by a frame of blur. Shows well against the dark backgound.