Double the Pleasure

Puffins in a remote colony on the East coast of Iceland.
A colony not visited by many people, you could almost touch them…
400mm (70-200 f2.8 w/ 2x tc) 1/800, iso400, D610, f8
Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Puffins in breeding condition make such wonderful subjects, Dan, and you did this pair justice. Excellent job on the difficult exposure of the blacks and whites, nice perch and complementary poses.

Love Puffins. Great job on this pair.

What beautiful color in this photo! I love everything about this photo. Very nice.

Oh wow, Dan, two Puffins at the same time, and with a 200mm lens! I like that they are standing with their backs towards you, and their heads turned to the side, showing off their beautiful faces. Nice rock for their perch, and the blue water makes for a nice background. When I bring the image up large, I am seeing chromatic aberration (green and purple) near where the white and black meet on the birds, (mainly on the bird to the left). Simple fix, for sure. Excellent image.

This is well done. The color, detail, perch, and composition are excellent. I wouldn’t change anything. What time of year was this taken? If you were in other areas of Iceland, how did the weather compare on the East Coast compared to the West Coast? I spent a week on the west coast between the northern area in the southern area and saw the sun for one day in May 2015. I would love to go back and see the rest of the country.

Thanks David.
This was a colony in Borgurfordur Eystri, a tiny beautiful village on the extreme NE coast.
It was sunny the 2 days I was there. I drove the entire ring road in early June.
I would say I had about 5 sun days out of 18 total.
The east coast fiords were my favorite place. There is literally just a few hundred people who live on that side of Iceland and not a lot of tourists make the drive.
The Puffins were excellent…