Atlantic Puffin

Seeing the Atlantic puffins is definitely one of the major draws of avian photography in Iceland. Puffins nest on cliffs. They burrow into the grasses where they make their nests. Getting to these cliffs in the Westfjords area is an undertaking in itself. In our case, it was a 2 1/2 hour drive on primarily gravel roads. We went there twice. The first time there were gale force winds that were more powerful than anything I’ve ever experienced in my entire life. The winds were blowing over 100 km/h and towards the cliffs. It was so dangerous that we turned around and came back the next day.

Even in perfect conditions which we had the next day, the cliffs are dangerous and are only protected by a thin 1/2 m high rope right at the cliff edge. The cliffs drop over 50 m and viewing spots are limited. This area is so popular that tour buses come from Reykjavik over six hours away. And this is for fewer than 10 puffins.

At one time there were many more and there are multiple areas in Iceland where puffins congregate. But their numbers are declining.

There are many more species in this area, including Razorbills,Guillemots, Cormorants, Storm Petrel’s, Gulls, and Northern Fulmer. Many are flying adjacent to the cliffs but many are also on the cliffs themselves in un-accessible places.

Being there is definitely an experience.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 640, 400 mm no extender, F5 .6, 2000th, less than 50% of full frame.

2 Likes

Woah, what an adventure! Glad you didn’t stay out with those winds. Sounds horrendous, but also fascinating in nature’s power.

I didn’t comment on your other puffin portrait, but I will here. Looks like it was bright sun without any filtering clouds and in your effort to control that I think it looks a little dark. Both in the bird and in the grass/plants next to it.

But damn this is a great shot. The way the edge of the land bisects the image adds a lot of tension and brings home just how precarious it is for us without wings to manage here. Puffins though were made for this…literally. Their adaptations are incredible. And they’re darn cute.

Sounds like an amazing trip, David. Thanks for sharing your behind the scene story of the photo. Wonderful photo of the puffin with great detail and clarity. Very nicely done.

Wow, those conditions sound exciting and rewarding. What a nice scene.

Thanks for everybody’s comments on this.
I fooled around with it a little more. I added a warming filter, a white neutralizer on the side feathers. Beyond that I just don’t have the Photoshop skills to improve this anymore. I also darkened some of the plumage on the head. Yes it was very bright light and definitely an exposure challenge.
Keith or anyone else who has better skills than myself, if you are reading this, I would appreciate some assistance.

1 Like

Excellent image, David. I love the framing and the setting for the Puffin. I really don’t see anything wrong with the original post and I prefer it to the repost because the vegetation looks off in the repost. If you really wanted, you could mask everything but the bird and do a levels adjustment to brighten it without blowing the whites.

Really enjoying this one, David. Like the pose and colors. You definitely capture the setting, showing the cliff and drop off-not a place to be in high winds for sure.

Hi David
I was sad to hear that there are so few Puffins in Iceland. I really like the framing of this Puffin photograph. The white level on the head and chest should be ruff equal. DXO Photo Lab 4 local adjustment that do a good job on this type of adjustments. I think you did a good job.on this photograph.
Peter

Atlantic Puffin cheeks are grey and very different in texture and color from body plumage. At least, that’s the case in Iceland.

Wonderful reward for all the trouble, and sad story about the declining population! The OP works for me. Sometimes a subject is in full sun and you can’t make it look otherwise. But you can usually avoid blown whites and blocked up blacks, which you did as far as I can tell.

You really had an adventurous trip, and very nice results. Good you went back, as these Puffins are great. Love the image, the repost indeed a bit better. Love the overall setting and the way the bird stands on the edge of the cliff. Nice one ! Hans

The original post caught my attention, David. I think it looks terrific. Sure, there is bright light; how could there be otherwise? But it appears you handled it well. Terrific portrait.