Nesting time

Atlantic puffins generally live on very steep cliffs and burrow into the grasses along the cliff. Their nests are built inside the burrows. , Here, there is protection from the wind and sun inside the burrow.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 640, 400 mm, F6 .3, 2500th

1 Like

Really beautiful capture, David! So they burrow in the ground? I never knew that, that’s a really neat detail! Do you live near them? Really awesome find!

Nice, David. Great pose and detail in the Puffin. I’m not sure, never having had the opportunity to see one, but it looks as if you might have grayed it out a bit controlling the whites.

Nice pose out of this guy? girl? on the cliffside. Excellent details. They are interesting birds.

Really interesting behavioral catch - love the scene of the bird collecting nesting material on the cliffside. Fine details even though I do see what Dennis points out in terms of gray but I also haven’t seen one up close. A fine capture.

Wonderful behavior shot. I’ve seen puffins and photos of them that have this grayish color, and it seems to be related to the way the light hits them. Shade or slight shade seems to cause it. Maybe that’s the cause?? Anyway, great shot. Now, if only I could get this close to the ones on the Oregon coast.

Yes I agree, the way the light hits the white plumage can create some gray tones. I think if you look real carefully what is showing up our diffuse shadows from the grass just in front of the bird. I think that is what has made the talents slightly gray. The facial plumage is always darker than the body plumage on puffins.

Hi Dave
I have to say, Puffin do strike a nice pose on land. The black and over all coloring look very nice, I think the whites could come up a little. Nice work.
Peter

This is wonderful, David - so much to see in the image: the great bird itself, its behaviour, surroundings and the sea below adding depth. Well done, love it ! Hans