Down by the River 2

Autumn 2020 photo project - taken 10/14/20 in Lincoln, Massachusetts

I hope you all are not tired of my posting images from this past autumn in chronological order. So far I’m only on 10/14 and kept shooting until Halloween. But local autumn shooting was nearly all I got to do this past year due to the pandemic. And I prefer to post current work at NPN.

Same morning and location as my prior post. Just a wider view of what was to the left. The Sudbury River is hidden between the trees and the hillside, and is the source of the mist. A longish 2 second exposure created a nice look in the swirling mist. No Orton or negative dehaze applied here.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comment is welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 144 mm, ISO 400 2.0 sec at f11

Rework with Brent Clarks suggested top halo of negative dehaze (thank you Brent)

Original un-editted raw file for comparison purposes.

13 Likes

Seems to have been a very good day!

I don’t think I would ever get tired of these photos. I could just melt into them. They are so sublime and peaceful. I love the softness and muted colors. The foreground tree is nicely placed and well displayed against the subtle background of the forest.

I agree with Chris - these images instil a wonderful sense of calm. While still muted this one feels somehow “brighter” than the earlier one and it really works. Also like the way the two foreground trees are giving each other room to grow.

Tired of these??? Ummmm… No, No, and No!

This image for me is one of those where I could just sit and look at it for a long time, and then come back and do it again. The color palette is so peaceful, the fog is so peaceful, and the composition invites me in to explore every detail.

Oh my!!!

These just keep getting better! What a target rich environment! This is just great. I really like how the darker FG tree is framed by the brighter one behind it. I also think how the high-key interpretation/processing lends itself well to a lighter “feel” to the image compared to mine for example at the lake which several felt was too dark.

Ed,
I think sticking close to home in the crazy year of 2020 was a blessing in disguise for you as you captured some stunning images that you might have otherwise missed if you made your usual trip to NH and ME. No way shape or form am I tired of these beautiful images that you captured. I say keep them coming. The soft lighting and atmospherics with the fog are sublime and have created such a lovely peaceful scene. I think the diagonals with the two trees has added just a bit of tension to this otherwise calm scene and elevated it another notch. I have no suggestions as this is just gorgeous!

Wow, they just keep getting better. The misty colors are so beautiful. I could see cropping this one to 4:5-ish, from the left to just the right edge of the lowermost green bush. That would put the main trees +/- in the middle, but I think that would work. It’s a calm, peaceful scene, so having the portrait of the main trees in the middle feels right.

All said above – just gorgeous! So many foggy scenes are rendered too dark and low in contrast. You have shown how to make fog sing!

1 Like

Beautiful image Ed. Elements seem to melt togethor yet retains individual elements, I too like the exposure level.

Wonderful color palette! I didn’t post on your last image but I much prefer the composition in this one. Just for fun, I wonder what adding some negative dehaze (or… haze) to the top and left would be like. I was thinking of a “vignette” of haziness around the main trees.

For some reason this image reminded me of Dave Kingham’s photo of mammoth springs in Yellowstone. Even though this one resembles your previous image I thought the previous was better. Perhaps it’s a matter of taste but I find this too soft and that conveys a sweetness that you see in a Hallmark Card. It’s too sentimental for my taste. It’s just a style that doesn’t work for me.

My vote is keep 'em coming! There’s no such thing as too many fall images, right?

I like the mood conveyed by the mist in this image. The V-shape of the mid-ground trees serves as a nice anchor in the frame for the eye to rest while enjoying the lovely color and tones.

I remember the hardwoods and river land along the Sudbury as so full and beautiful. Nicely done, Ed. definitely enjoying your NE/Massachusetts images…maybe a little too soft for some but beautifully shot and shown.

@Bill_Crich @Ola_Jovall @Mario_Cornacchione @Stephen_Stanton @Keith_Bauer @Igor_Doncov
@Brian_Schrayer @Brent_Clark @Diane_Miller @Bonnie_Lampley @Ed_Lowe @Jim_McGovern @Chris_Baird thank you all for your comments, I do appreciate you taking time to give me your thoughts

Brent this is an excellent suggestion, thank you. I have posted a rework back up top, and I really like what it does. I’m usually unwilling to “create” fog via negative dehaze since I worry about it looking unrealistic, but in this case it really works well in that small area. I think it helps that there was some slight haze there already, and the rework just added to it.

And just for fun, I’ve posted the original un-editted raw file back up top too, so everyone can get a sense of the before and after on this image.

Ed, tell your brother Mike that he should have come to Massachusetts for Columbus Day weekend, instead of hitting past peak up in the White Mountains :grin:

1 Like

Nice! I like it. I draw just about the same line as you do - I don’t add stuff like fog to images that don’t have it, but I may add a little bit to emphasize what is already there.

The other day I was just asking @Matt_Payne his thoughts on where he draws the line for editing after he posted some thoughtful IG stories and his answer has been rattling around in my brain ever since. It was to the effect of “the viewer would not feel deceived if they both were at the original scene with you and saw the raw file.” I really like that because it both adheres to reality and allows a little bit of wiggle room for modifications like very slight cloning/warping/fogging/etc. I think in this specific case, most people would not feel deceived at the little bit of fog you added because it was definitely a foggy scene to begin with and you didn’t go overboard. Just my $0.02 and Matt’s $0.02, resulting in a whopping $0.04!

2 Likes

Glad to see the original in the mix and what you were working with. Regarding the new haze fog…not a fan. The layer closed to the ground is very appealing as originally presented, but the top layer seems to distract and tone down the nice autumn colors of the trees in that layer. Just my thoughts, might darken up the two trunks just a bit too.

Oh my! Love this Ed! Just gorgeous. I love how the fog/mist really connects the main tree with the background - and the atmosphere is just oozing! The light and mix of colors is just beautiful as well.

My only suggestion was going to be dealing with the ULC as others have commented on. I think you’ve dealt with that nicely in the rework. And as far “adding fog”, IMHO I don’t see any different as if you had simply used a dodging process. In any event, that corner was just a bit darker and didn’t quite fit the overall atmosphere; but again, the rework is much improved.

Haven’t had much chance commenting on previous posts, but for sure this ranks up there as one of my favorites of your recent images. Outstanding imagery!

Lon

I like all the versions, even the unedited one. It’s a very strong comp all around.