Down the Hatch

This Hoopoe, along with 4 others, was cleaning up a temple lawn in Korea (grass here is always this colour in winter). This bird seemed to be rooting out twice as many grubs as the others so I kept following it. Earwigs, spiders and beetles on the lawn surface were also on the menu, but this green underground grub was the favourite.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 + Tamron 150-600mm (@600mm). 1/3200 f6.3 ISO 2500

Taken when the light was going, hence the high ISO.

After ACR basics, Topaz Denoise, PS Shadows and Curves, some selective darkening of the background and finally a little Topaz Sharpen.

2 Likes

Great action and a superb low angle, Mike. Also a wonderful bird.

1 Like

Great job noticing their differences and picking the best one for this kind of shot. I’ve never seen these birds IRL but I imagine it’s like watching brown thrashers or flickers hunting on the lawn. Lots of hopping, running and mad stabbing. So much entertainment for us. The details and color here are really nice. And as Dennis pointed out, the low angle gets us engaged that much more.

Fantastic capture, Mike. Love how the grub is isolated by the dark background, also your great POV. Very nicely done.

1 Like

Excellent detail and action. Superb job on the comp.

1 Like

What a delightful image!! Wonderful to notice the behavior that maximized your chances of a good capture! Excellent processing!

1 Like

A superb image of this beautiful bird. In some regions of Spain there are many, easy to be heard but not so easy to capture as they are very alert. The time you invested to watch the individual behaviour paid of the hoopoes. Perfect moment, great detail in the bird, nice dark BG.

1 Like

Hi Mike
Very cool low angle photograph of this Hoopoe having a snack. The color and detail are spot on. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like