Hoopoe

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These birds have a knack of winkling grubs with their beaks from deep down in the earth under the grass. This one was finding them very quickly and knocking them back with relish. I posted a shot some time ago of the grub in mid-air between the mandibles, but liked the more stationary grub on this occasion, a couple of days ago.

Specific Feedback

The light was fading, so I applied EV. My home-made frying pan tripod was keeping the camera pretty steady as I lay on the grass - but the shot was still a bit soft. Did I oversharpen it?

Technical Details

D500 + 150-600 (@600mm) 1/800 f10 ISO 1000 +1EV Tripod

Cropped off along top and bottom for composition. Denoise, tonalities in PS plus Topaz Sharpen at the end.

Hi Mike, I like this image with the low shooting angle to bring us in nice intimacy with the bird. Cool to show him/her catching a grub. I like the way the sun is lighting up his face and front body. Sharpness looks good to me. Well done.

Mike, this is a nice shot of a bird I am not familiar with. Great angle POV, nice to have the “catch” included too, and really good detail.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks and @Ed_Williams . This is a bird which becomes so focused on its activity that it allows me to get pretty close - I wish there were more like it!

I was immediately attracted to your picture of this fascinating bird. I agree with @Allen_Sparks about the light. That “tripod” sounds very functional. I am trying to picture what it looks like! :grinning:

Your wish is my command, @Barbara_Djordjevic. After careful negotiation with the frying-pan owner, I drilled a hole, inserted a screw of the same diameter as the tripod ball-head, then screwed on the ball head as shown. It holds camera + long lens very steady and is easy to move along the ground or sandy beach. You do get the odd quizzical look!

2 Likes

Mike, I am glad to hear about the success of your negotiations. Yes, I would imagine this tripod would attract attention. Have you secured a patent on it? Oh, maybe that isn’t necessary in Korea. :grin:

The frying pan technique worked for getting your camera low enough for the shot. Nicely composed and that’s a killer background that coordinates with the plumage of the Hoopoe…Jim

1 Like