Common hoppoe

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Patitence is the prime key to be consider in wildlife photogaphy,

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Hoopoe have majestic looks when it unfold its crown ,

Technical Details

Crop sensor mirriorless camera and here are some technical aspect of this image,
Aperture :- F7.1
Focal length :- 230mm
ISO :- 640
White balance :- manual
Exposure time :- 1/332s

Initial impression; You have excellent detail in the plumage, but it could use a bit more light.

Hi Ram and welcome to NPN and the Avian forum. You did a great job getting close to this bird and the plumage detail is excellent with great depth of field. I don’t know what software you’re using for processing, so it’s difficult to tell you exactly how to perform my next suggestions, but if you can bring the light on the front of the Hoopoe up a little it would help make it stand out from the background a bit better. It may be an optical illusion caused by the edge of the sand bank but the image appears slightly tilted and I think just a bit of clockwise rotation would help with that. With the bird sitting up like that, you might consider cropping to a vertical format and putting the bird just a bit to right of center in the frame so it has a bit more room in the direction it’s looking. Finally, if you’re really feeling ambitious, you could use the cloning or content aware healing tools to get rid of that dark clump and the grass stem that’s comes up in front of the bird.

I apologize if that sounds like a lot of criticism, but it really doesn’t amount to much. You managed the most critical part-you got the bird in good focus, reasonably exposed and with that crest showing nicely. The rest is just simple processing stuff that you’ll soon catch on to.

Welcome again and I look forward to seeing a lot more of your work and hearing your comments on other people’s efforts.

1 Like

For beginner photographer its very helpful guidance thank you Dennis sir means a lot
And its not a criticism you only mention the missing technical aspects to be consider for better image processing.