Learn to fly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

An image from last Spring, when I had monitored a nest of Sparrowhawks that produced 5 young, this being of them. After leaving the nest, the first 2-3 days they hang around and do a lot of stretching a ‘dry flying’. The forest is already covered in canopy by then, so usually it try to shoot against the sun and overexpose, as to avoid the strong contrasts between dark and light patches which one gets with the sun behind you. And, it fits my preferred type of images :wink:

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 with 500mm + TC @ 700mm | 1/800s | f5.6 | ISO2000 | overexposed 5/3 FS | Tripod

The bird is so wonderfully sharp and detailed, with a dynamic pose! You have an interesting method to work in that kind of light. The shallow DOF separates the bird from the busy BG nicely, and creates a pleasantly abstract BG.

Great detail and a nice pose. I must admit, my first thought was to create more contrast between the bird and the background, but as I look at it I do find the lightness of the image appealing.

That’s one beautiful bird, and I think the overexposure and lighter surroundings complement it quite well. Good choice, Hans.

Excellent, Hans, and thanks for explaining your rationale for how you took the shot. I really like the results and I’ll have to try this when the opportunity arises.

HI Hans
Like Allen, my first impression was to nock down the background, but “on further review” your presentation works best. Nice work.
Peter

I love everything about this one, Hans. I appreciate your description of the forest setting and trying to shoot against the sun while over exposing. I like the finished image. When I first saw the thumbnail, I thought that it was a little bit harsh but the more I look at the larger image, the more I love the specular highlights everywhere , evenly distributed. The bird is super sharp and I love the pose and head angle. I also really like the Out Of Focus URC leaves.

1 Like