Dragonflies in flight

Description:

I was looking back at some older dragonflies in flight and came across this one from 2014 with a rig that is primitive by today’s standards. These Black Saddlebags don’t normally hover like the Blue and Green Darners but these were preoccupied enough to give me a chance.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D3, 70-200 f/2.8 IS + 2X III at 315mm, ISO 800, f/7.1, 1/1600 sec. Redone with the current LR develop module and the TK linear profile. Into PS for Topaz Denoise and some minor BG cleanup. Cropped to 13% (sic) of the original frame.

Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Here’s the aftermath. She dropped away to oviposit and unfortunately moved out of the focal plane, then they joined up again. (Must have been the phase of the moon or something.) Then a pair of Variegated Meadowhawks came along! They have been very rare sightings for me.

Diane, these are amazing! Amazing to even seen, but to capture them so well also. Thank you for sharing. The first one reminds me of airplanes refueling in the air. :grinning:

As Shirley said, just amazing. Great Photos

Diane, catching dragonflies in flight is a big challenge. The sharpness that you have in all of these looks very good. I’ve watched (and shot at…) Black-saddlebags in tandem flight and it seems like they do the tandem, let go to deposit and rejoin at least some of the time.