Dragonfly Lunch

I was out at the edge of the yard looking for photo opportunities when I saw a skipper land, and immediately a dragonfly grabbed. I watched closely to see where he would land to eat his lunch. He soon perched on a blade of tall grass. Comments and critiques welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Taken with Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 180 mm lens on monopod and Wimberly MH-100 gimbal head. Settings manual except ISO (auto), f7.1, 1/640 ISO 640. Edited in LR (basic adjustments) and Topaz AI Clear.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Whoa, Shirley. You are quick. This is an amazing photo. Love how the dragonfly and blade of grass are at the same angle. The colors are so soft but the poor skipper clearly isn’t have a great day. Truly wonderful photo and very nicely done.

1 Like

Outstanding photo of nature in action, Shirley! Good details and a pleasing BG. One doesn’t get many opportunities at a photo like this, and it appears to me you took full advantage of it! Bravo!

1 Like

Hi Shirley, I find the female pondhawks tough to capture as they like to lay low in the grass. I think you did well with the critical focus yielding a sharp head on the dragonfly. These pondhawks are voracious predators as you demonstrate very well in this image. Nice greens.

1 Like

Shirley: Perhaps your best macro shot ever IMO. Terrific capture of a fleeting moment. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Great action image! Great colors and background. you probably had to act very quickly, but extremely well done given the situation.

1 Like

Outstanding Shirley, Wonderful action photo with great action. One of the best.

1 Like

Wonderful capture – couldn’t be better designed if you had staged it! I didn’t know they would catch such a large meal. Kudos for great observation and greater follow-through!

1 Like

Shirley, this is a great “action” catch with the Eastern Pondhawk having a big lunch. As Allen indicates, these Pondhawks are known for being aggressive, to the point of eating other dragonflies… How nice that you had the skill and persistence to catch this fleeting moment.

1 Like