Dragonfly

I usually walk the trail along the canal in Weissport, PA. A few weeks ago I noticed all the dragon and damsel flies. I returned over the weekend to capture a few shots. I was difficult finding a uncluttered background. This is one of the shots. I’m not too familiar with these insects. An ID would be appreciated if anyone knows.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D7200; 400 mm; ISO 720; f / 6.3; 1/800 sec; Handheld.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I am not for sure on the ID, so will leave that to those who are in the know. I love the way he is positioned on the grass. You managed the background clutter really well. For me, it seems like there is a lot of highlights that might needed toning down some, on his wings and tail are especially. I do like the way the grass runs across the image, and the position of the Dragonfly on the grass. Dragonflies are fun to shoot. Looking forward to more shots, Nick.

Thanks Shirley. The lighting down there was an issue.

Hi Nick, this looks like a male Widow Skimmer. I like the diagonal composition even though I prefer more of a dorsal view of this species to show off those beautiful wings. This is still nicely captured however. I’d suggest burning down some of the brighter spots on the grass.

Nick: Good plane of focus management at this DOF to get the head, eye and body sharp. I also like the diagonal of the grass. Good find and a fine capture. >=))>

Thanks for the ID and the advice Allen.

Thanks for the positive comments Bill.

Nick, these Widow skimmers often perch on flat surfaces near the ground, so getting one with a clean background like this is a challenge. The details in it’s head and body look great. There is a subtle dust spot near the top center.

Thanks Mark, I didn’t catch that. I am having an issue with that spot. It’s almost in the direct center of my viewfinder. I can’t seem to get rid of it.