Widow Skimmer Dragonfly, male

These showy dragonflies are always a treat to photograph. I saw this one the same morning I found the female I posted earlier.

Canon 90D, 300mm f4L IS, 1.4x TC III, monopod with gimbal head
ISO 400, f14, 1/100s

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

A real beauty, Allen. I can see why these are a real treat to photograph. Wonderful details in him.

Beautiful butterfly Alan. The color is amazing and I love the tilt of the DF. Insects are so funny that they land in such a way the photograph does not work. I find myself talking to them like they really understand me. Then I get the insect just perfect and they fly off just before the click, like they say to themselves you are not talking a picture of me today. This one was perfect.

Allen, a fine look at this DF. These dragonflies are quite skittish. It’s always a treat when one lets you get into position and it’s landed in a spot with decent distance to the background. The details here stand out well.

Widow skimmers are dirt common, but very photogenic. Great color and I like the reticulated pattern in the BG. I can appreciate taking the photo like this because the dragonfly certainly falls into the area of best focus. Well done…
Jim

Allen: Classic DF shot carried off superbly. Great subject, comp and capture. Most excellent. >=))>

Beautiful job on this dragonfly, Allen. I really like the excellent detail and the background is very cool.

Awesome detail. That 300mm seems to work quite well for this application.