Dumhach Beach, Inishbofin

If you visit Ireland, you may well be struck by the postcards on sale - resplendent in oversaturated blues and greens - even before the sun comes out and you see the scene they claim to depict. Many of these postcards are the work of John Hinde, or his successors. He was an interesting character, as you can learn on Wikipedia. Inishbofin is an island in the west of Ireland, and I was lucky to be there during good weather, in May 2016.

Specific Feedback Requested

I took this to capture a very wide angle, as the beach had such a broad sweep; then I thought it looked better cropped from both sides and the top, a la rule of thirds. To get a postcard feel, I added contrast, lowered the highlights, raised the shadows on the hill in the middle ground and then (of course) increased the saturation.

Technical Details

D7100 + 12-24mm f 4 lens f8 12mm 1/4000 ISO 800

Basic PS adjustments to bring out the textures and colours.

1 Like

I love the blues of the water and how they correspond with the clouds. You can spend hours traveling in between them. The textures of the clouds are wonderful. Very peaceful picture. For me the extensive front part of the picture with the sand and green is less impactful and I would have wanted to focus mostly on the wonderful water and sky.

Mike: Marvelous scene and a fine capture. I like your horizon placement and the impact it gives the sky. Well done. >=))>

@Mike_Friel This is a beautiful scene. I love the color of the water. It might not have worked, but I think I would like to feel like I can get closer to the water and those mountains - perhaps if they had more prominence in the frame. It is lovely though.

It’s interesting, because often landscape photographers prefer a certain sort of light, but tourists prefer bluebird skies or those with puffy clouds. I sometimes wonder how to unite the two interests. :slight_smile:

Mike, a well seen and captured postcard photo. Nice balance between fore-, mid-, and background. Hard to decide whether to give land or sky the most prominence, but that big hole in the clouds sort of tilts in favor of the sky. Super wide-angle lens was needed here.