Dune Walker

As the sun began to set on the Great Sand Dunes National Park shadows stretched across the wind swept dunes and created beautiful golden patterns all around.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D750 Nikkor 70-300mm
300mm 1/500s, f/10, ISO-100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Oh man, get out of town! This is brilliant. What I love is the comp and the fact you managed to get the walker in the exact right spot so the dune lines appear to be pointing them out.

My only critique relates to contrast - I feel your blacks are a little too black and your whites are a little too white. My eyes are hunting for just a little more detail in the shadows, and the whites at their hottest appear to be blowing up just a tad, particularly around the walker. Everything else is awesome though and I really really love this image a lot.

1 Like

Michael, WOW is this nice ! This is a fantastic scene and the sense of scale with the inclusion of the “dune walker” is just brilliant. I do agree with @Sam_Ison on the highlights and shadows but this is still a really compelling composition. I like the color but would also consider trying it in B&W.

1 Like

Michael,

OH MY, this is Extraordinary! I can’t say I’ve ever seen anything like this with that “dune bridge.” At least that’s what I’ll call it. It just seems to go against the flow of the dunes and how wind might shape things… but what do I know.

The inclusion and timing of the dune walker really makes the image.

I would agree with Sam about the contrast. Why very dramatic (and I do like the color/saturation,) I would just expect a wee bit more detail in the shadows. the highlights, well, they’re ridge lines mostly and so perhaps a little more expected to be hot. As presented this is awesome and an attention grabber. Any adjustments (shadow detail for eg.) are in the realm of personal choice and what you want to accomplish.

Lon

2 Likes

A tweak of contrast to just give substance to the shadows and then it’s a show stopper.

1 Like

Excellent composition Michael. Great use of diagonals. The dune walker adds a sense of scale to the scene. I do agree with the others on the contrast especially pertaining to the shadows. Stunning work none the less.

1 Like

Great comments already. This image just takes you there. I can feel the wind and the sand blowing. The light and color really hold my attention. As far as the dark areas are concerned for me they add a bid of mystery to the image. The person also adds a bit of mystery, what is this lone person doing in this desolate place by himself. Great image.

1 Like

These dunes look like they’re alive. Definitely a unique image.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback here is a re-edit, I brightened up the shadows a bit and made some color adjustments

2 Likes

The strong contrast really brings out the lines and texture and I really like the warm light on the dunes. I will go against the grain a bit and say that I like the original post with the darker shadows. I think that for this image the deep shadows are a strength and enhance the abstract and otherworldly quality of the image. The lone figure conveys the scale of the landscape and tells an interesting story. Great work!

The re-edit looks awesome mate! Congrats again on a sick image.

1 Like

I agree with @Brian_Schrayer, I prefer the image with the darker shadows. And I like that image a lot.
Superb.