Dusky Silhouettes

hey fellow npners,

it has been quite a while since i last posted. unfortunately i didn’t really find the time to be active here in the past months/years.

i’m back with an image that i chose to be the main cover for my new website. i really like what it does there and the whole website even inherits its colour scheme from the image.
what i’m not sure about is - does work on its own? and that’s why i’m posting it here.

curious to hear your thoughts!
cheers,
joerg

What technical feedback would you like if any?

from a technical perspective it should be alright. the dark parts are probably on the edge. but that also was the intention to keep the contrast high.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

does the crop work? i do have as a 2x3 version but the sky doesn’t really add anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

single exposure.

2 Likes

Hi Joerg,

Welcome back. This is a very pleasing image. The Blue to orange transition works well for me as does the skyline and the sharp moon.

To answer your question the darks, the contrast and the crop works for me. No nits.

This looks really good, with a very peaceful mood to it as well. The contrast and crop work for me as well, and the processing looks good to my eye.

Very fine, Joerg. The silhouette peaks jump out immediately, very smooth gradient, sliver of moon looks great, big plus . I did think there was an awful lot of dark space in the lower third of the image . I might consider cropping on the left side and the same amount on the bottom. Also the upper left corner might be more uniform with the right corner as to shadow vignetting. Just some thoughts, But it certainly works as is.

thanks everyone. i’ll file it under keepers.

@Stephen_Stanton thanks for the input. i’ll play around. if i like what i see i might post an update.

cheers,
joerg

Very nice Joerg. I love the color gradient in the sky and the crescent moon. The purple-ish colors in the sky and mountains look great. And I think you have just the right amount of shadow detail in the mountains. It’s right on the edge of being a silhouette near the tip of the mountains, but you reveal just enough detail below to see the snow. I agree with @Stephen_Stanton about a small crop from the bottom, and the left. This image is already great, but I think fine tuning the crop makes a subtle improvement.

here’s a closer crop. had to crop from the right as well as not to lose balance.

what do you think @Ed_McGuirk and @Stephen_Stanton ?

cheers,
joerg

That’s exactly what I had in mind on the bottom, and I like how you eliminated the notch in the horizon on the left side.

1 Like

I like it, Joerg. Should work nicely for you . A great attention getter

1 Like

Definately a keeper. I like your cropped version even better.
I hope you don’t mind me making a comment about your website. It looks great design wise and you have an excellent body of images. I think the portfolio gallery could be improved by having thumbnail images that can be clicked on for a larger view. As a photographer I really enjoy perusing other’s work so I don’t mind the slideshow, but I think the casual browser or client would not like to sit through a slideshow or keep clicking to advance to the next image.

1 Like

hey @Michael_Lowe ,

thanks for your comment and having a look at my website. thank you even more for taking the time to leave me a few lines of contructive criticism!

you raise a valid point. i have been thinking about the portfolio layout for quite some time before i took a deliberate decision. your comment made me think again now - but, i came to the same conclusion. the portfolio (and actually the whole website) is there for people who are really interested in my photography.
the portfolio in particular is a place where i get to decide. it is limited to just a few images and not intended to be viewed like a photostream where the viewer gets to pick his favourite.
you are absolutely right, i might lose a few viewers here. but i highly doubt that any of those would in any way value my work enough to become a customer.

having the above mentioned viewers or casual browsers in mind, i have implemented a thumbail gallery as well - and even put a link at the end of the portfolio. i admit the feature is hidden, but again, that was a deliberate decision.

thanks again for taking the time and making me re-evaluate my decisions. very much appreciated!

best,
joerg