Dutchman's Breeches

This stalk of Dutchman’s Breeches stood out because it was vertical and there was a touch of pink in the flowers rather than their normal pure white. (R5, 180mm macro, 1/500 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod, 20 shot stack)

1 Like

Oh how fun. If you pop over to the chat window and look in Flora, you’ll see Karla and me talking about this exact flower. I’ve never seen them with mature flowers and still sticking up straight. I’ve only seen them bent over.

The pink here is really lovely. Some apricot in the deep cracks. Side light pulled up some lovely detail. I can’t wait for our flowers. It will be a while. Snowing again.

The detail is exquisite, Mark. Without a doubt, stacking can certainly make a difference in the amount of detail obtained. I am still struggling with the “to stack or not to stack” issue. When I see your photos I am back to taking more time to develop my stacking skills. You inspired me to keep trying. Thanks.

Nicely done. You were fortunate to find the flowers in almost perfect alignment. A diffuser might help soften the light.

Wonderful subject and light – stacking was a perfect idea! Love the BG too!

@Mark_Seaver How is it that your flowers are standing out from the stem? I’m jealous. :smile: The ones i see have vertical stems snd flopped over flowers so there is little to no separation. I have to keep trying and will have to try for minimal wind to try stacking. As @Kris_Smith said, we were just discussing this. She posted a lovely image in the chat with a horizontal stem. Lovely work!

Karla, I looked at lots and lots of 'breeches while I wandered. Most of them were the usual arching stem with flowers hanging down. I did find a decent number with stems standing straight up but most of those had flowers on all sides of the stalk. (While stacks of those look very good, they weren’t as clean as this post. ) This one stood out, firstly because of the significant pink color in the flowers and secondly because of all the flowers were on the same side of the stalk. It also happened to be decently isolated, reducing impact from the background.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver I’ll keep looking, and I’ll try to bear in mind some of your comments. I appreciate the tips.

The only thing better than the image of this flower is its name.

I have no idea of the scale of this, but it looks rather small.

DBs are pretty small. The ones I’ve photographed have flowers from 1/2 inch to maybe 3/4, but mostly smaller. The funniest thing is to watch a standard-sized bumblebee try to pollinate them.

Outstanding plant image. Unique shape and texture. Outstanding light and depth of field.